Potstickers

The first time I put one of these in my mouth I thought that I had died and gone to heaven. This was sometime in the Fall of 1980, in New York Chinatown. New York, back then, was a wonderful place to be; and one of the best places for us poor students to hang out (aside from all the Greek Diners, of course), when it came to food, was Chinatown. We were lucky as a group because one of us was a Chinese New Yorker - David Loo, who knew all the best places, of course. So, one Sunday late morning we found ourselves in this massive restaurant with waiters running around delivering a constant stream of tiny plates - Dim Sum. And that was when I died and went to heaven.

These days I sometimes come across videos of New York where people walk around or ride around on bikes shooting what they see around them. And, it is really sad to see the change. They also often go to Chinatown. And that too seems to have changed - and not for the better. Grimier somehow. Lots of closed businesses. But I bet the Dim Sum is still as good as it ever was. Especially the Potstickers! But also probably way too expensive for the sorts of students that we were back then.

One other thing to add: About 10 years ago I visited Hong Kong. Sat on the plane with practically a napkin tied around my neck, dying to get out and run into the first restauant. That is how much I thought that I liked Chinese Food. Turns out it wasn't Chinese Food that I liked but just New York Chinese Food. Nothing that I ate in Hong Kong tasted anything like what I was used to from my NYC days. Then I also went to Singapore one time, and there I have to say that the food was much better. But still, nothing like the stuff that we used to eat in Chinatown all those years ago. Nowadays we have no shortage of Chinese Restaurants here in Istanbul either. Some good ones too. Whether they do Dim Sum, or indeed Potstickers, I have no idea. Should check it out sometime, I suppose.

INGREDIENTS
Dipping Sauce:
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped Chinese chives
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce




Dumplings:
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped Chinese chives
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 50 dumpling wrappers
  • ½ cup vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1 Prepare dipping sauce: Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, chives, sesame seeds, and chile sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.

Step 2 Prepare dumplings: Mix pork, garlic, egg, chives, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.

Step 3 Place a dumpling wrapper on a lightly floured work surface and spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the middle. Wet the edge with a little water and crimp together forming small pleats to seal the dumpling. Repeat to form remaining dumplings.

Step 4 Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place 8 to 10 dumplings in the pan and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Pour in 1 cup of water; cover and cook until the dumplings are tender and pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Step 5 Repeat to cook remaining dumplings, adding more oil and water for each batch.

Step 6 Serve dumplings with dipping sauce.



Shamelessly filched from: 
Thank you All Recipes! :-)

Images: Unsplash and Freepik.