Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

Now this is something that I can talk about! I make this almost every week, but the recipe sounds a whole lot nicer than my version which does not have mustard or the parmesan cheese and crackers on top. Nor do I use two different kinds of cheese. All very easy to fix, and next time I make this I will do so.

There is one thing that I am wondering about in this recipe however, and I should mention that too, I suppose: Why frozen broccoli? I just blanch my fresh stuff in boiling water for 5 minutes or so and then I am all set.

While I was looking around for recipes for this, I also came across one that added fried and crumbled bacon rashers to the mix and that sounds very nice as well. But however you make this, it is very filling, very tasty and vey easy to make. Hey, even I can do it, righ? Must be easy then...


INGREDIENTS
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 small sweet onion diced
  • 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
  • 4 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
  • 1 cup swiss cheese shredded
  • 1 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 3 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets
  • 4 cups grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed ritz crackers
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (200 degrees Celcius) and grease a shallow baking dish.
  • Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion, sprinkle in a pinch of salt, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low if the onions start to brown too quickly.
  • Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute.
  • Add flour and cook, continuing to stir for 1 more minute.
  • Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Once all the milk has been added, cook for 3 minutes or until the milk just begins to simmer.
  • Add half of the shredded cheese, ground mustard, and sour cream, then reduce the heat to low and stir until the sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
  • Stir in the frozen broccoli. Transfer the broccoli and cheese mixture to the greased baking dish. Cover the casserole with the remaining cheese.
  • Bake the casserole for 15 minutes. Top with crushed ritz crackers and a heavy sprinkle of grated parmesan, then bake for an additional 5-8 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
  • Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!


Shamelessly filched from: 
Thank you Grandbaby Cakes! :-)

Images: Unsplash, Pexels and Freepik.


Comments